I was looking around last week-end for any signs of Spring at all in the back yard. No Tulips yet of course but when I am getting ready in the mornings, I do hear the birds chirping. We are so close. That also reminds me that need to start getting the Garden in order and make a list of things to do and seedlings to start. Spring means a Fresh start and in terms of food, what can translate better the Freshness than the Citrus Fruits.
When I first tasted this dessert, my first momentary reaction was “Oh My god, I made a mistake, too much Grapefruit”. The next second I tasted Fresh Orange flavor and then the dessert proceeded to reveal the sweetness of Panna Cotta and finally Calmness with Basil. I could not stop eating after that.
This dessert has 3 distinct steps to it and four distinct flavors. It is a bit complicated to construct only because of several steps involved but the steps themselves are not complicated at all.
- Citrus jelly
- Mixed citrus fruit juice (combination of orange, grapefruit and lemon to taste) A little over 1/2 cup
- Sugar 1/4 cup
- Gelatin Powder 4 g
- Basil-infused citrus fruits
- Kumquats 1 cup
- 1 orange Segmented and cut into small pieces
- Grapefruit 1/2 Segmented and cut into small pieces
- Basil leaves a handful
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- 50 ml water
- Vanilla panna cotta
- Gelatin 8 gm
- 500 ml milk
- 100 ml whipping cream
- Sugar 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla Extract 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom seeds 1/8th of Tsp Ground
- To make Jelly
- In a saucepan, combine the fruit juices and sugar and bring to boil. When sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. Add the Gelatin powder and let it dissolve. Pour this mixture equally into 5 to 6 separate molds or bowls and refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- For the Citrus Fruits
- Place the Kumquats in a pan and add water enough to cover them and boil for about 5 minutes., drain and set aside. Boil the water, sugar and basil leaves until sugar is dissolved and remove from heat. If you have any extra fruit juice, add that to the water too. Pour this mixture over Kumquats. Add the segmented fruits and let the fruits marinate until ready to serve.
- To make Panna Cotta
- In a separate sauce pan, bring Milk, Cream, Sugar, Vanilla Extract and Cardamom seeds to boil. Stir constantly so it doesn’t burn. Simmer until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add gelatin powder and mix. Let this mixture cool and slightly thicken. Make sure the Jelly is set in the bowls/molds and pour this mixture over it. Let it set for a couple of hours in the refrigerator.
- To serve, place the bowl/mold in hot water for 10 seconds and run a knife through the edges. Place a plate over the bowl and turn the plate over. The Mixture should come out. If it doesn’t give it a couple of pats.
- Enjoy this lovely spring dessert!!
- Recipe by Le Cordon Blu