Summer is now officially over. I was sitting at my usual summer favorite place in the sun room and thinking what does summer mean to me. It means abundance, it means adventure. It means piling the kids in the car at a moments notice for an impromptu beach visit or visit to a splash pad. It means playing tag with kiddos on a tennis court without shoes when no one is looking. 🙂
All of that spontaneity is now over giving way to a new season. Season of color, falling leaves. Fall clean-up and organization before cold weather sets in.
But before we do that I have one last summer recipe to share with you all. Strawberries and Cream scones. Last weekend we were able to capture a bit of warmth in the morning so I made these creamy wonderful scones for breakfast. They taste absolutely divine with a plop of butter and some strawberry jam or whichever jam you may have on hand. You can also make smaller bite size pieces to serve at an afternoon tea.
- All-purpose flour 2 cups
- White granulated sugar 1/2 cup
- Turbinado Sugar 3 Tbsp
- Baking powder 2 tsp
- Lemon zest 1 tsp
- Salt 3/4 tsp
- Orange Flower Water ½ tsp
- Butter 1/4 cup cold and cut into small pieces
- Whipping cream 2/3 cup
- fresh strawberries 2/3 cup chopped in small pieces
- Egg 1 lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix All purpose flour, Baking powder, Lemon zest, Salt and Sugar until combined.
- Add the Butter and combine until well mixed by hand
- Stir in Cream, Orange Flower Water and mix
- In the end, fold in Strawberries gently and mix but take care not to over mix.
- Knead the mixture gently 6-7 times.
- On a floured surface, roll out about 8 inch circle and cut it in 8 wedges.
- Put the wedges separately on a cookie sheet about 2 inch apart. Brush with Egg properly and sprinkle Turbinado sugar on top of each.
- Bake for about 12 minutes
- Best served warm with some butter and Jam on the side