Every year, I try to change the Home decor a little bit to suit the season. In the Summer, I change up the cushions a bit, get the Sunroom and Deck ready for long fun filled summer days. As the weather gets cooler, its a welcome change to make the Indoors more interesting. Believe me, its not easy to stay cooped up in long midwest Winters. I try to add a bit of interest by changing the Decor. I don’t do much because A2 is still a Toddler and loves to pull everything apart. Her favorite line these days is “Sorry Mommy, I fix it”. Yeah, right. She still can’t reach the middle of the table so I figured , I can add a couple of things on the table and perhaps the Fireplace mantle.
As soon as the weather gets crisp and cool, the supermarket gets laden with all sorts of Squash produce and not to mention Apples. Here is a recipe for Butternut Squash Soup with Apple. If you are looking for a another variety of Squash soup, head over to my Soup section in the Recipe Index tab.
Butternut Squash 1/2
Onion 1 Medium preferably yellow
Apples 2 small peeled and cubed in small pieces
Heavy Cream or Whole Milk 3/4 Cup
Chicken or Vegetable Stock 2 cups or bit more if needed
Cumin Coriander powder 1 1/2 tsp
Ginger grated 1/2 tsp
Salt per taste
Black Pepper per taste, I like it 1/4 tsp
Butter 1 tsp
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the Squash in large thick strips, drizzle some olive oil and roast for about 25 to 30 minutes. It should look all cooked when you take it out. Let cool and remove the pulp from the skin. Set aside.
- I made Soup only for 3 people so the Butternut Squash that I got was pretty large for my purpose. So I removed the pulp and stored half of it in a Ziplock bag in the freezer. I will use it within a month but in case I forget, I always label the food so i know what is in there and when I stored it.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter at medium heat, add onions and saute for couple of minutes. Add Ginger and let cook for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the Apples, Cumin-Coriander powder, Salt, Black Pepper and saute for couple of minutes stirring constantly so as not to burn.
- Add Stock 2 cups and let the mixture come a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add Heavy cream/Milk and simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Let this mixture cool slightly.
- Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.