This easy Butternut Squash Soup recipe was born when we were hit by a snow storm this week. It turned out so good, I made it in Instapot as well later so you have both ways of making it.
The snowstorm was so bad that several of us had no electricity and no water for more than a day. Here is a small video of what the storm looked like. for those who have never seen a snow storm, this will be enjoyable perhaps.
With whatever daylight we had, I did manage to get all Christmas decoration out. Hopefully I will do a post on it soon. As the weather gets cooler, its a welcome change to make the Indoors more interesting.
As soon as the weather gets crisp and cool, the supermarket gets laden with all sorts of Squash produce and not to mention Apples. Luckily when the storm hit, I had a good supply of both and the stove was working so Lunch was solved.
How to dress up this soup? You don’t have to add all of the suggestions, only one or two is good enough.
- Add fried Sage like I did
- If you would like some kick to it, add Adobo Chili Powder
- Add Sunflower Seeds
- Add Pomegranate seeds
You can get Ginger Garlic paste in an Indian store. If that’s not an option for you, simply mix Crushed Ginger and crushed Garlic that is available in any super market.
I keep a plant of Sage in my kitchen all the time but it is usually available in super market as well in the Herbs section.
Products used in this recipe are below. To buy the product click on the link.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup with fried Sage
- 1 Butternut Squash medium size
- 1/2 Onion preferably yellow
- 1 medium Apple Red or any sweet variety
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic Paste
- 3 Black Pepper crushed
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- few spings Sage fresh
- 2 Tbsp Canola Oil for frying Sage
- 1 tsp. Butter
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the Squash in large thick strips, remove the middle portion. Brush Olive Oil on Squash and Roast for 30 minutes. Cut Apple and Onion in small pieces. They don't need to be uniform because they will be blended anyway.
- Remove from Oven and let cool a bit. Then remove the flesh of the Squash and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter at medium heat, add onions and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste and let cook for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the Apples, crushed Black Pepper and saute for couple of minutes stirring so as not to burn.
- Add Water and let cook for 15 minutes until Squash is soft and cooked through.
- Add Milk and Salt and let cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat Canola Oil and drop Sage leaves, It will be fried in about 20 seconds. Remove and set aside
- When the Soup mixture is warm, Blend thoroughly.
- Serve Warm, garnished with Fried Sage.
- Remove the skin from Squash and make small pieces of the flesh from squash.
- Heat Butter and Olive Oil together in Instapot in Saute mode. Add Squash and while stirring occasionally, Saute Squash for 3 minutes.
- Add Onion, Apple, Water, Milk, salt, crushed Black Pepper, Ginger Garlic Paste and mix well.
- Pressure cook with no venting for 6 minutes.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender.
- Fry Sage in 2 Tbsp. Oil. Garnish Soup with sage and serve warm.