Keeping in the theme of clean eating, I have this recipe for you that is not only very easy to make but also quick. This will beat any chinese take-out any day. Perfect for a healthy weeknight meal when you are juggling soccer, gymnastics and toddler demands.
Go ahead and substitute any veggies that you like. If you would rather add chicken, go for it.
Brown Rice 1 cup
Water as required to cook the Brown rice
For the stir fry
Red Pepper 1 medium – cut in long strips
Green onion 1 bunch – cut in small pieces
White or red onion about 1/4 cup – cut
cabbage 1 cup – cut in long strips
Soy Sauce low sodium 1 Tbsp
Worcestershire Sauce 1 Tbsp
Honey 1 1/2 Tbsp
Plum Sauce 2 Tbsp
Cornstarch 1 Tsp plus 3 Tsp water to mix
Salt per taste
Red Pepper flakes optional
You can start making the rice before you start on other steps so it will be done in a good time along with stir fry.
- Make the rice as per package directions. I just boil it in a large pot with rice and three times water and a bit of salt. then if I feel rice is not done but water is low, I add more water until its done.
- Cut the Pepper and Cabbage in long thin stripes and keep aside.
- Cut the Green Onion and Yellow/White Onion in small pieces.
- Mix Corn starch in 3 Tbsp. of water and keep aside
- Take 1 Tbsp. of Canola oil in a sauce pan or saute pan and keep on high heat.
- Add White/Yellow onion. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add Red Pepper and sauté for another minute. Add Green Onion and sauté for 30 seconds. Finally add Cabbage and sauté. The vegetables should still be crisp.
- Add all the sauces including soy, Worcestershire and plum sauce. Sauté to mix.
- Add Honey and Salt and mix.
- Finally add the Cornstarch and sauté until all the water is evaporated and all the vegetables are coated.
- Remove from heat.
To serve, take a cup of brown rice in a bowl and top it with stir fry.
Garnish with cilantro or green onion and enjoy.