Sweet and Sour Tofu
Here is another week-night meal for you, my friends. Super easy to make and almost no prep time required. What’s more? If you are cutting carbs from your meals, this is your dish.
Serve it with some Soba Noodles or Brown rice and it becomes super-healthy. If you are in mood for more comforting food, stick to White rice. Serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or just plain old Chili sauce. I assure you, this will become your week-night staple.
- Tofu Firm 1 box
- Whole wheat flour such as chapatti flour ¼ cup
- Ginger grated ½ Tbsp or per taste
- Lemon Juice ¼ cup
- Maple Syrup ¼ cup
- Soy Sauce low sodium 4 Tbsp
- Salt per taste but add only after the dish is prepared
- Canola or Grape seed oil 4 Tbsp
- Cut the Tofu in small cubes about 1 ½ inch x 1 ½ inch.
- With a dish towel or paper napkins soak as much water out as you can.
- Place the flour in a zip-lock bag and add Tofu. Shake the bag so all the Tofu is covered with the flour.
- Work in batches if needed. There is plenty of flour for all the Tofu.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan. Add Tofu and cook until browned on both sides. Use medium flame so it doesn’t burn.
- Once done remove from oil and pat on couple of paper napkins.
- Remove excess oil from the pan leaving only 1Tsp in.
- Add all the sauces , ginger and Tofu and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- If lot of liquid is remaining, cook for additional 2-3 minutes, Cover and let sit until ready to serve.
- Before serving, check the Sal, add more if needed.
- The Soy sauce can be very salty so it’s important that you prepare the whole dish frst before adding salt.
- It’s important that you use Firm Tofu otherwise it will disintegrate.
Recipe is taken from Big Girls Small Kitchen