One of my most favorite deserts and also one that I was so afraid to make. I actually kept procrastinating making this desert because I didn’t think I could do it right. Finally, I am glad I tried and it came out most delicious both the times I made it. I did add a bit of Bailey’s Irish cream but if you don’t have it on hand, go ahead and skip it. Just add ½ tsp extra Vanilla extract.
- Milk whole or 2% 1/3 cup
- Granulated Sugar ¼ cup
- Half and Half 1 ¼ cup
- Turbinado Sugar or regular sugar is fine too for spinkling on top of each ramkin 2 Tbsp
- Vanilla Extract ½ tsp
- Egg Yolks 4
- Bailey’s Irish Cream 2 Tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Place 6 Ramekins into an ovenproof large dish that can hold water.
- Keep a kettle of water for boiling.
- Mix Half and Half and Milk in a container and heat on low to medium heat.
- Turn off the heat just before the mixture reaches boiling point.
- In a Stand Mixer, mix Egg Yolks and Sugar on medium speed until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the Irish Cream and Vanilla Essence and run for another minute.
- With mixer still running on medium speed, add the Milk mixture at a very slow speed to the Stand Mixer bowl.
- After you finish adding the Milk mixture, let the Mixer run for couple more minutes.
- Pour this mixture into 6 Ramekins.
- Now pour the boiling water into the oven proof dish that you placed the Ramekins in.
- Transfer the dish into the oven.
- Bake for 23 to 25 minutes.
- If your Ramekins are on smaller side, you will need more of them and your baking time will be reduced by couple of minutes.
- Take them out and let rest until ready to serve.
- When its time to serve, preheat the oven at Broiler position.
- Sprinkle sugar on each Ramekin evenly and keep under the broiler for 2 -3 minutes. Keep a watch to make sure Sugar doesn’t burn.
- Take it out and serve.