Don’t you get slightly overwhelmed on the week-ends when you make breakfast and lunch then have to take the kids out to the Beach or a Birthday party and then come home and cook dinner? I certainly do. The best thing to do on those days, start something in your slow cooker before stepping out of the house. That way you have at least a portion of the meal ready when you are back. This daal is perfect for the kids. It is full of flavor and not too spicy. When I am back from day’s excursion, all I have to do is make quick rice in pressure cooker and kids are ready to be fed. I can make something more for hubs and me later in the evening.
Sometimes, I delay the start time for the slow cooker and make this for week-night so it’s ready when I am back from office with hungry kids in tow.
- Toor Daal 1 cup
- Goda Masala 1 tsp
- Jaggery 1 tsp
- Mustadr seeds black ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida 1/8 tsp
- Curry Leaves about 4
- Tamarind concentrate a dash or tamarind piece about 1 inch
- Green chilies 1 large deseeded and cut in small pieces
- Oil/Ghee 1 Tbsp
- Salt per taste
- Water 4 ½ cups
- Grated Coconut 1 Tbsp (optional)
- Coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- Wash Toor daal 2 -3 times and place it in slow cooker.
- If you are using Instapot, turn on the sauté function and sauté while you prepare tempering.
- In a tempering vessel or any other small container which can handle high heat, heat oil/ghee.
- When oil is hot, add Mustard seeds and Asafetida and wait for 10 seconds while the seeds sputter.
- Add Curry leaves and Turmeric. Remove from heat.
- Add this mixture to the Daal in slow cooker and mix well.
- Add Water, Goda Masala, Jaggery, tamarind, salt and Grated coconut to the Daal.
- Add the water.
- Turn on slow cooker and cook for 3 hours on high setting. Alternatively cook for 5 hours on Low setting.
I made it in 3 hours on high setting.
When ready to serve, garnish with Coriander and Enjoy.