If you have seen one of my previous posts, you know I changed my job few months back. One of the reasons I changed because at the new place I could work from home once in a while when needed. Like one of those days when you think you are going to come down with something but an extra hour of rest clears things up. Last week I did work from home and realized it has been years since I made lunch just for myself or at least I don’t remember making it. When I used to make it it was right after I got married. I didn’t have a job and I was so new to this beautiful country that I now call my home. N had a job that was literally across the street so he used to make it a point to walk over to our little apartment almost everyday for lunch. He used to also tell me to make more snacks for after work indulgence but that is for another post. Once in a while he would go with his coworkers and I would rejoice the small vacation from cooking. I used to probably make a quick omelette with only salt and cumin powder. Yes, I was that lazy. Last week though was different. I decided I was going to make an elaborate lunch. Barley Salad and Green Peas Soup.
Then I sat alone in the backyard and devoured my few moments of silence and my lunch followed by a cup of coffee before heading back to work. A few steps away. Ah, what a glorious existence even just for a day.
- Barley 1 cup cooked
- Corn roasted 1
- Red or Yellow Capsicum 1/4 cup
- Tomatoes cherry 1/2 cup
- Shallots a handful
- Red Onion 1 Tbsp.
- Strawberries 6-7 washed and cut into pieces
For the Dressing
- Olive Oil 2 Tbsp
- Sherry Vinegar 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Ginger 1/2 tsp
- Honey 1 Tbsp.
- Salt as needed
- Pepper flakes (optional) as needed
- Cook Barley per package instructions. Typically Barley takes almost an hour to cook and then you have to wait for it cool down. I typically start cooking Barley first right after breakfast so i can use it for lunch.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Salad
- Mix all ingredients for the dressing
- Pour the dressing over the Salad