Sunday is my favorite day of the week. No matter how busy we all get during the week, Sunday is the day to hit a restart. I start the day early to savor the moments of sunrise. The sun starts peeking through my kitchen window and I can make my first cup of tea.
Sometimes I go through one of favorite cookbooks looking for inspiration for Sunday lunch or other times if weather is kind enough, I take a walk around the house with a steaming cup of tea in my hands and a shawl to keep me warm. It’s just a start of a slow living day. I will gaze at the leafless trees daydreaming about the life that will be erupting from them soon. I will look at my rose bushes for small signs of life. Just the way my garden hits a restart every Spring, I need a restart on Sundays too so I can be what I want to me through the week. I made a lovely Almond and Vanilla scented Millet Porridge for a sit down breakfast for all of us on Sunday. We had it with fresh Blackberries and Blueberries and even a Banana. Another cup of tea and I was off for some heavy pruning work in the Garden.
I made this Porridge with Almond milk but you can use Cashew milk or just plain milk with a drop of Vanilla. Millet is great grain for anyone who is on Gluten free diet. Since my childhood, I have seen my Mom make Millet bites for snacks which are full of energy. Millet also contains enzymes that reduce bad cholesterol so what’s not to like?
- Millet 1 cup uncooked – I used Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Millet
- Water 2 cups
- Almond Milk 2 cups – I used unsweetened Vanilla
- Brown Sugar – Raw 4 tsp divided
- Maple Syrup – 4 Tbsp divided
- Blackberries or any other fruit – I prefer non citrus fruits
- Cook Millet in 2 cups of water as per package directions. When Millet is almost cooked, take it off the heat.
- Add the Almond milk and let it absorb the milk.
- Top it with 1 Tbsp of Maple Syrup and 1 tsp of Brown sugar on each. Sprinkle a bit of Salt. Enjoy with choice of fruit.