Spring is in full bloom around here in my beautiful Chicago. Although we have had a few rain soaked week-ends, I am enjoying this new bloom of life. Getting the garden ready and more so the Sun-room ready where we will soon be having almost every meal of week-ends.
A spring time salad to go with this fresh new life. Delicious, healthy and home-made. We are making a concerted effort at eating healthier. That does mean cooking at home almost exclusively. It never fails to amaze me to see not only food is so much healthier but it also tastes so much better. It doesn’t have to be complicated. A simple salad like this Asparagus Salad is so easy to come together and adds so much value to your meal.
- Asparagus 1 bunch ( for 2 persons)
- Grape Tomatoes cut in half about 3/4th cup per person
- Parmesan shaved per taste about 2 Tbsp per person
- Radish 2 small per person cut in thin stripes or pieces
- Walnuts toasted 3 Tbsp person
- Spinach 1 cup per person cut roughly
- Dressing – Balsamic Vinaigrette (recipe here)
- Prepare Asparagus – Hold each Asparagus stalk in both your hands at the ends. Bend the stalk. Let it break where it breaks. Keep the end towards the top for Salad. Use the other end for making stalk.
- Boil water in a large sauce pan. Add the Asparagus tops to the water and let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Immediately, remove the water and dump the Asparagus in Ice water bath. This will retain color of the Asparagus and will prevent further cooking.
- In a separate Salad bowl, mix Spinach, Tomatoes, Asparagus, Radishes. Top with Walnuts and Parmesan. Drizzle the dressing and enjoy.