I had made a cupcake version of Pineapple upside down cake may be over a year ago. I made a few changes and made a sheet cake and topped it with Broiled Pineapple. The results were amazing. Cake was not overly sweet so you can have it at tea time.
- Self-rising flour 3/4 cup
- Baking powder 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda 1/4 tsp
- Almond Flour ½ cup
- Sugar ½ cup plus 2 tsp
- Olive Oil ¾ cup
- Eggs 1 plus 1 yolk
- Sour cream 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla extract 1/4 tsp
For Pineapple topping:
- Pineapple rounds
- Turbinado sugar 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Spray the sheet pan with non stick spray
- In a bowl, mix Flour, Baking powder and Baking soda and keep aside.
- In a stand mixer, mix Olive oil and sugar and run it at medium speed for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time and keep mixing until feels well mixed and light.
- Add Vanilla extract and Lemon zest.
- Add dry ingredients and mix at medium speed until well mixed.
- Finally add sour cream so the mixture even softer.
- In a quarter sheet pan, pour the mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Cut fresh Pineapple in thin rounds. Top with Turbinado sugar and Broil in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Once the cake is cooled, cut in desired shape and top with these Pineapple rounds.
Best served warm. Enjoy!!
Original recipe by Lauren Kapeluck.