You would be totally surprised that this dish originates in Indian cuisine. Most people who are acquainted with Indian cuisine know Butter Chicken or Chicken Kadai and Occasional Paneer dish. Indian cuisine also consists very simple and healthy dishes like this cabbage saute that comes from Western State of Maharashtra. It is used in day today menus and usually accompanied with Daal and very thin Rotis. This dish is so mild that you could simply skip the green chilies and have it as a warm Salad or may be accompany it with some yogurt and cucumber raita, go carb free, people.
This recipe is so simple and yet there must be at least a hundred variations of this depending on the household. Here is how we like it.
- Cabbage one whole preferably green
- Curry leaves 4
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Powder 3/4 tsp
- Garlic 1/2 tsp
- Salt per taste
- Oil 3/4 Tbsp
- Sugar (optional)
- Green Chilies (optional) depending on the heat, 1 cut in small pieces or minced.
- Lemon about half if small
- Cilantro for garnishing
- Cut the Cabbage in very small pieces. The middle white portion and tough white stems should be discarded.
- Remember that the quantity of the Cabbage may seem huge but it will reduce to half once cooked.
- In a medium sauce pan, heat oil on a medium flame. Add Mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle.
- Add Curry leaves and wait for 10 seconds.
- Add minced Garlic and let it cook for about 20 seconds. The Garlic just needs to cook but should not turn brown or else it will taste bitter.
- Add Turmeric to the oil and wait for 5 seconds.
- Add Cabbage, mix with oil and Saute for a minute. Add Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder and Saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add Salt and Sugar and mix well. Now cover this mixture so the steam is trapped and lower the flame.
- Let the mixture cook for at least 5 minutes. If the Cabbage wasn’t soft, you will need to check and may be cook for another couple of minutes.
- Squeeze the Lemon on top and mix.
- When done, simply remove from heat, garnish with Cilantro and enjoy.