I am in a Christmas Coma. There has been an overdose of cookies and cakes all around me. This easy soup has served as a refresher and pallet changer for the last few weeks. I have another recipe for Green Peas Soup in the blog archive. This is another take on it. I added different herbs and added Chili Oil for the kick. I also used Almond Milk instead of cream so all in all this makes a healthier version. As with almost all my soups, this is a mild soup and goes well with simple salads or a cheese course.
Green Peas Soup with Thyme
- Frozen peas 28 oz
- Butter 1 Tbsp
- Thyme – dried 1 Tbsp
- Onion small chopped 1
- Garlic 1/2 tsp paste or crushed
- Herb de Provence 1 tsp
- Water 2 cups
- Almond Milk 1 cup
- Chili Oil 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt as needed
- In a large saucepan, warm the Butter on medium heat.
- Add Onion and Garlic and saute on medium heat for a few minutes. The onion should be golden but make sure it doesn’t turn brown.
- Add the Green Peas and let cook for several minutes. Stir occasionally. If you are using fresh peas, the cooking time will be much less. When you see the color of the peas changed slightly, they have cooked enough.
- Add Water or Vegetable stock whichever you are using and let the mixture come to boil.
- Reduce the temperature and let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Add Thyme, Herb de Provence and Chili Oil to the mix and let cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Using a hand mixer or food processor, blend the mixture.
- Just before serving, all Almond Milk and warm through. Remove from heat, add salt and Sugar if needed. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- Garnish with Mint leaves or Cilantro leaves or some Pomegranate seeds for a pop of color.