Have you had the most wonderful Valentine’s day? Anushka was supposed to take cards and Lollipops for her friends and at 5 AM I remembered that the cards were not signed so I frantically signed all the cards in less than 5 minutes. That was a good start. The girls made cards for us and feasted on all the candy their friends gave them. We had special little dinner at night and then everyone was off to their duties of homework and email catch ups.
I made these pretty little Semolina cakes for my friends who came over few weeks ago and they do not eat eggs. They are so dainty and look so overly pretty with an adornment of dried Roses.
- Semolina roasted a little less than 1 cup
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Rum 2 Tbsp (Optional)
- Saffron 2 pinches
- Salt 1 pinch
- Milk 600 ml (preferably use whole milk and if possible substitute 100 ml of heavy cream for 100 ml of Milk)
- Vanilla Essence 1/2 tsp
- Rose Petals for the recipe and garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in microwave and with a brush, butter the cake pan. I used a mini bundt cake pan to get the pretty shapes. If you are using a pan with delicate design, make sure you butter the pan properly getting into all the design so your cake will come out clean.
- If Semolina is not pre-roasted, dry roast it in a large saucepan. It will take about 10 minutes and you can smell the fragrance to tell you that it’s done. Make sure you are stirring it often so as not to let it burn. Once, roasted, remove from the heat and remove it in a separate bowl.
- In the same pan, boil the milk. Reduce to a simmer. If you are using Heavy cream, add it when reduced to a simmer. Add the Sugar and dissolve it completely by stirring often. About 3 minutes or less.
- Add Rum, Saffron, Vanilla Extract and crushed Rose petals if using. Keep some aside for garnishing later.
- Add the Semolina and Salt. Let it cook for couple of minutes. Remove from heat.
- Carefully add this mixture to the cake pan. The mixture is very liquid so make sure you are adding it in equal measures if using muffin pan or a mini bundt pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Flip it and garnish it with Rose Petals.
- You could serve it with some whipped cream or just as is. Tastes great if served warm.
- If you wish not to use Rum, increase Saffron by a pinch.