On Sunday a friend stopped by after lunch and we went for a wee afternoon stroll by the pond near our house. We sat on the bench sipping Chai tea from Thermos and talking about everything and nothing. People come and go I our lives but some friendships stay forever and become the rocks for the very foundation that we can rest our soul.
Chai Tea has a special and unmovable place in my heart. No matter where I go and which country I visit or if my day is going well or not, Chai tea is a constant. It’s one reminder of normalcy that one cup of Chai Tea and all is going to be well.
Chai Tea Panna Cotta
- Heavy Cream ½ cup
- Half and Half 2 cups
- Water ¼ cup
- Tea leaves 1 ½ Tbsp (alternatively use two tea bags)
- Sugar ¼ cup
- Gelatin unflavored 1 Tbsp
- Cardamom pods 3 –peel and take out the seeds
- Cloves 3
- Cinnamon 1 inch
For Candied Pistachios
- Pistachios about 16 or more
- Butter 1 Tbsp
- Sugar 2 Tbsp
- Prepare 4 individual ramekins or cups that you will use for this dessert.
- In a small bowl, take the Gelatin and slowly pour ¼ cup Half and Half over it. Mix well so ta=hat there are no lumps and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, mix Water, Cardamom seeds, Cloves and Cinnamon and Sugar. Place this sauce pan on low heat.
- Mix rest of the Half and Half and Heavy cream in another little bigger sauce pan and place it on medium heat. Heat up the Cream mixture upto boiling point while stirring occasionally. If you do not stir, the mixture will burn. Take off heat and set aside
- While the cream is heating up, the Sugar in the Tea mixture would have dissolved and whole mixture would of dark brown color. Strain this mixture with a strain and set aside the Water that we will use. You can discard the tea leaves and whole spices.
- Mix the Water mixture to the Cream Mixture and stir to mix.
- Now add the Gelatin which has by now thickened to the liquid mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Divide in equal parts in 4 ramekins.
- Cover each Ramekin with plastic and place in Refrigerator to set for at least 4 hours.
- While the Panna Cotta is setting in the Refrigerator, peel Pistachios if they are not already Peeled. Roast the Pistachios in a pan. It should take no more than 7 to 8 minutes.
- In a saucepan, take the Butter and add 2 Tbsp of Sugar. Let the Butter dissolve. Take the saucepan off the heat and add Pistachios. Mix well to coat each Pistachio well.
- When the Panna Cotta has set, top a few Pistachios.