As has been my routine every year in April we wait for Spring recipes, I jump back one more time into the Winter recipes and post just one last comforting soup. Chicago is a tough land to live in. Winter almost seems never ending and Summer comes and goes on a flash. I am getting ready to think about the Garden though. I stopped by a nursery today to peek through what goodies they are planning to bring in for the Spring. And without intention, managed to get yet another houseplant and couple of Herb pots. I decided to use the Fresh Thyme from newly acquired herb plant. Hope you love this recipe as much as I did.
Squash Soup with Pear and Thyme
Ingredients: Serves about 6 with one more appetizer
- Butternut Squash 1 Medium size
- Pear 1 large
- Onion 1 small cut in small pieces
- Ginger – grated about 1 tsp
- Vegetable or Chicken Stock 1 1/2 cup preferably organic
- Thyme 2 sprigs
- Black Pepper – Freshly cracked
- Salt to taste
- Honey 1 Tbsp
- Water if needed
- Butter 2 Tbsp
- Olive Oil 1 Tbsp for roasting the Squash
- Crème fraiche optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut the Butternut Squash in quarters and remove seeds. Drizzle some olive oil. Using hands make sure to spread the oil all over the Squash
- Place the Squash in oven proof tray or cookie sheet and let roast for about 50 minutes. It should look soft and cooked when you take it out.
- Remove the Squash from the oven, scoop out the flesh and set aside.
- In a saucepan, heat Butter and add onion, saute for couple of minutes, add Crushed Ginger and saute for another minute.
- Then add the Squash pulp and Pear and saute for about 3 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add Stock to the pan and mix thoroughly.
- Add Black Pepper, Honey and Thyme leaves. Let the soup come to a boil.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Put the entire mixture in blender and mix well.
Serve warm and Enjoy!!
For more Yummy Soups see
or Lentil Soup