I had posted this Salad few years ago but I thought with the nice weather hopefully coming up, I should revive it. This is great light Summer Salad. You can prep the ingredients in individually n separate containers and mix it at the last minute. This will go fabulously with a glass of White wine perhaps a Riesling.
Spinach and Strawberry Salad with Candied Walnuts
I usually use pre-washed baby spinach so the Salad can be made in a jiffy and I don’t have to chop the Spinach either.
Use whichever fruit you would like with Strawberries. I have used Apples, Pears, Oranges but anything goes.
- Spinach about 4 cups chopped
- Strawberries ½ cup sliced
- Mandarin oranges packed in water 2 container or a Fruit of your choice
- Red onion chopped ¼ to ½ cup per taste
- Cheddar Cheese per taste about ½ cup (Optional)
- Walnuts 1 cup per person
- Maple Syrup 2 Tbsp
- Cayenne Pepper flakes or Chipotle Pepper powder ¼ tsp or more per taste
- Cinnamon 1/8 tsp
- Butter ½ Tbsp
- Balsamic Vinaigrette 2 Tbsp
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 Tbsp
- Honey 1 Tbsp
- A dash of Mustard
- Salt and Pepper per taste
- For Maple roasted Walnuts, in a small saucepan, on a low flame, roast the Walnuts until fragrant.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add Cinnamon and Cayenne Pepper and mix quickly.
- Finally add Maple Syrup and mix. Mixture should be on the flame just for enough time to melt and mix otherwise it will burn.
- Take off the flame and let it cool.
For the dressing
- Mix all the ingredients with a whisk and keep aside.
- Chop the Spinach, add onion and mix.
- Mix the dressing with a Salad. Serve in individual bowls.
- Top with Strawberries, Mandarin Oranges and Cheese.
- Finally, top with Walnuts.