Here is another week-night meal for you, my friends. Super easy to make and almost no prep time required. What’s more? If you are cutting carbs from your meals, this is your dish.
Serve it with some White or Brown rice and it becomes super-healthy. If you are in mood for more comforting food, stick to White rice. Serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or just plain old Chili sauce. If you are cutting carbs, skip the rice altogether. I assure you, this will become your week-night staple.
Tofu with sweet and sour sauce
For the dish
- Tofu Firm 1 box
- Whole wheat flour such as chapatti flour ¼ cup
- Ghee (clarified butter) or Grape seed oil 4 Tbsp.
- Corn Flour 1 tsp mixed with 1/4 cup of water
- Vegetables such as Onions, Red Pepper, Green Pepper cut in long strips
- Salt per taste but add only after the dish is prepared
For the Sauce
- Ginger grated ½ Tbsp. or more per taste
- Lemon Juice ¼ cup
- Maple Syrup ¼ cup
- Soy Sauce low sodium 4 Tbsp.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all the ingredients for the sauce, mix and set aside.
- Cut the Tofu in small cubes about 1 ½ inch x 1 ½ inch.
- With a dish towel or paper napkins soak as much water out as you can.
- Place the flour in a zip-lock bag and add Tofu. Shake the bag so all the Tofu is covered with the flour. Alternatively, you can just mix it in a plate and make sure Tofu is covered with flour on all sides.
- Work in batches if needed. There is plenty of flour for all the Tofu.
- Heat 3 Tbsp. ghee/oil in a shallow pan. Add Tofu and cook until browned on both sides. Use medium flame so it doesn’t burn. About 3 minutes per side.
- Once done remove from the pan and set aside.
- In a large enough pan or wok, heat 1 Tbsp. of Ghee and saute all the veggies that you are planning to use and cook on high heat about half way through. While the vegetables are still crisp, add the Cornflour mixture and coat evenly.
- Add the sauces and let the vegetables cook through for couple more minutes.
- Finally add the Tofu and mix gently.
- There shouldn’t be too much liquid left at this point.
- If lot of liquid is remaining, cook for additional 2-3 minutes, Cover and let sit until ready to serve.
- Before serving, check the Salt, add more if needed.
- The Soy sauce can be very salty so it’s important that you prepare the whole dish first before adding salt.
- It’s important that you use Firm Tofu otherwise it will disintegrate.
If you would like to try another week-night meal here is Healthy Soba Noodles