This post is inspired by our recent travel to France and my husband’s undying love for Madeleine. These little cakes are from Northeastern region of France.
He has come to believe that the only way to start the perfect day is with a hot cup of Coffee and a Madeleine. This is my twist on the original recipe. Try it out and let me know how you like it.
Despite the look, these are exceptionally easy to make but do need a special Madeleine pan. The pan is worth the investment in my books.
- All purpose flour 1 cup
- Eggs 2 large
- Sugar 2/3 cup
- Butter unsalted 11 tbsp
- Cardamom 3 peeled and seeds taken out
- Nutmeg powder 1/8 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Sift the flour and set aside.
- Using Mortar and Pestle, powder the seeds of the Cardamom. You can use premade powder as well but make sure its fresh otherwise it won’t be as fragrant.
- Butter the Madeleine pan generously.
- Melt the Butter in the Microwave. I just put it in the Microwave for 45 seconds.
- In the stand mixer, beat eggs at a medium speed, add Sugar and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Add Cardamom powder and Nutmeg powder and mix
- Add the Flour slowly and mix.
- Finally, slowly add the Melted Butter straight in the Stand Mixer while the Mixer is running and low to medium speed.
- The Batter will be thicker than pouring consistency.
- Using a Tablespoon, fill in the Madeleine pan with 1 Tbsp. of batter each.
- Bake for 14 minutes. Open the oven and check to see if the edges are brown, if yes, remove from oven and let cool for another 5 outside.