Cauliflower Butter Masala – A decadent recipe with spicy roasted Cauliflower fragrant with Buttery sauce. A vegetarian take on Butter Chicken.
If you were to ask me which one is my most favorite recipe on the blog, people, this is it. And why, because seriously people I can’t stop eating it. Both my girls love Cauliflower and Butter Chicken. So this recipe is an attempt to capture both the flavors. After all, vegetarians should not be left out of these amazing flavors. The recipe is super duper easy too. Just read it through before you start and make sure all the ingredients are on hand.
The Cauliflower is roasted beforehand, this allows it to cook through but also keeps its crunchiness.
The best accompaniments for this amazing dish is Tandori Roti or Brown Rice and some Yogurt Cucumber Raita. Some Achar wouldn’t hurt either. Achar is a spicy concoction that is eaten as a side for almost every meal. You can find it in any Indian grocery store.
If you like your Indian food hot, add a tsp of Red Chili Powder when you add the Tomatoes.
If you like my recipes, please do follow me along on Instagram.
click on the link to browse or buy.
Cauliflower Butter Masala
- 12 Oz Cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala or Curry Powder
For the Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Tomato Puree See note
- 3 Cardamom Pods
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/4 Cup Whole Milk
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 3/4 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix Ginger Garlic paste, Garam Masala and Melted Butter in a bowl.
- Pour over the Cauliflower florets and make sure the mixture covers all the florets
- Roast for 20 to 23 minutes.
- Remove and set aside
- While the Cauliflower is roasting, remove the seeds from Cardamom pods. Using Mortar and Pestle, make a fine powder of the Cardamom seeds.
- Grate the Nutmeg if you do not already have a powder.
- In a medium size saucepan, heat the Butter at low heat. Do not increase the temperature as the Butter will burn.
- Add Cardamom powder and Nutmeg
- In about 5 seconds, add the Turmeric and Tomatoes. Let the mixture cook for 10 minutes on a low heat while stirring frequently. If you are using pre-roasted Tomato Puree, cooking only 5 minutes is enough.
- Remove from heat and Blend using Hand blender or Food processor to make a smooth paste.
- Put the mixture back in the sauce pan and put the heat back on to medium.
- Add Whole Milk, Salt, Honey and let cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the Roasted Cauliflower and Kasuri methi and let cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Enjoy with Rice or Indian Bread