With Holidays fast approaching, everyone is scrambling to find good and quick recipes that can be made ahead and are easy. These Pineapple Semolina dessert bites or a fond Indian name of Sooji Halwa are probably your answer.
Sooji Halwa is very popular dessert in most of India. There are many versions of this dessert. Traditionally, Banana is fried in ghee and added to the dessert.
Pineapple or Mango are two other fruits that also taste great in place of Banana. You could skip Pineapple and just make this with dry fruits. Add more water in place of Pineapple juice.
If you don’t wish serve as a bite size way, add 3 more Tbsp.s of Ghee and the dessert can be served in its traditional way.
Why you will love this recipe-
- It’s Nut Free but if you like and have no allergies you can add Pistachios or Cashews
- Takes about 30 minutes to make
- Use any cookies cutter to cut the shapes.
- If you are looking for a soft and crumbly Indian dessert but to be served in a cute way.
Pineapple Dessert Bites
- 1 Cup Semolina
- 1 Cup Pineapple Chunks
- 1/4 Cup Ghee/Clarified Butter
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Pineapple Juice
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Saffron threads
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 Cup Roasted Almonds for Garnish Optional
- Heat ghee in a medium saucepan
- Add Semolina and roast for 5 minutes until fragrant stirring continuously to avoid burning. If Semolina starts turning red, remove from heat instantly and continue stirring.
- Add Pineapple chunks and Sugar and mix well.
- Add Saffron, Pineapple juice, Water, Salt and cover.
- Reduce flame to low and let cook for 5 -6 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cook for couple more minutes
- Remove the lid and mix well
- Pour the mixture in a large plate and flatten as much as possible
- Using a cookie cutter, cut whatever shapes you would like
- The mixture is slightly dry so it can be eaten in a bite sized fashion.
- If you wish to make this in Instapot, use the Saute mode in Instapot for steps 1 to 4.
- Cover and Pressure cook in sealing mode for 5 minutes. Continue with the rest of the steps