Have you ever had dehydrated soup in a packet? When I was in college, that was one of the foods that sustained me. Little did I know that only if I tried I could make delicious Creamy Vegan Tomato soup in a very short time and it will taste amazing. I didn’t have to bear with the tartness of the Packet tomato soup.
I always use fresh Tomatoes for this recipe and leave the skin on to add a little bite to the taste. I prefer the slight tart taste and then I reduce it by adding a bit of Sugar to it. If you like it tart, don’t add any sugar.
If you are not looking for a Vegan recipe, you can use Honey instead of Sugar and regular whole Milk instead of Coconut milk.
The recipe can obviously be made on a stove top instead of Instant pot. In fact, my mother doesn’t own an Instant pot and she always makes it on the stove top.
The best qualities of this rich Vegan Tomato Soup:
- Totally vegan
- One pot recipe
- Great as Appetizer or have it as Entree by pairing with some Grilled Cheese
If you like this soup recipe, try my other recipes
Here is a good Blender for the recipe.
and I of course love my Instant pot.
For more on SLT, follow me on Instagram
Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup with Turmeric
- 5 Tomatoes preferably Roma
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 1 inch Ginger skin removed and grated
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Sugar optional
- 1/8 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Canola Oil
- 1/8 tsp Cumin seeds
- Wash and dry tomatoes and cut them in medium size pieces.. Rough chopping is enough since we are going to blend the tomatoes.
- Start the Instant pot in saute mode. Add Canola Oil and let it heat for a few seconds.
- Add Cumin Seeds and let crackle.
- Add the Tomatoes and saute for a minute or two. Add two cups of Water.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook mode, no venting and cook for 6 minutes.
- When the pressure is released, using Immersion blender, blend the Tomatoes well while in the Instant pot.
- Add Salt, Sugar, Turmeric, grated Ginger and only the thick creamy part of the Coconut Milk. If you feel you would like the soup to be thinner, you can add some of the water from Coconut Milk as well.
- Just before serving, turn the Instant pot to saute mode and let the soup boil for couple of minutes.
- Preferably serve warm. Garnished with some croutons or Cilantro or as I added some toasted Sesame seeds.