Stained Glass Cookies
Stained Glass Cookies are everything good there is about cookie baking and candy eating. If you can get cookie and a candy together in one go, which kid would say no?
These Stained Glass cookies were my daughter’s request to share with her classmates. In tough competition with these cookies were Shortbread cookies with Royal Icing and Lemon Bars. I heard some votes were taken and winner was announced.
the best thing about these cookies is that these are totally adaptable. You can pick which ever color you want and whichever shape you want.
If you have a themed party such as Valentin’e day party, go for a heart shape cut out and red/pink candy filling.
If you have a winter themed party, go for snow flake cut out.
You can also change the flavor. Instead of plain old vanilla, add Almond or Butterscotch extract.
Stained Glass Cookies
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter 2 sticks, room temprature
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Tbsp Milk any type will do
- 12 candies Jolly Ranchers of any colors
- Make sure the Butter is at room temperature. Place the Butter and Sugar in Stand Mixer and run the mixer at first the low speed to give Butter a chance to whip up a little and then at medium high speed. Beat until fully combined and fluffy.
- Add Vanilla Extract and Salt and mix for another minute.
- Add the Flour a little by little in 3 to 4 batches. Make sure the Flour is combined with Butter Mixture in between batches.
- When all the Flour is added, the mixture will look crumbly.
- Add the Milk at this point and run the mixer again for another minute.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place it on a plastic wrap or floured Marble/wood board.
- Knead the dough a few times. Make a log.
- Wrap the log tightly in plastic wrap. Close both ends.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- When ready to make the cookies, remove the cookie from the refrigerator. If kept longer than 15 minutes leave on the counter for 20 minutes or so before rolling out.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to make a tentative circle. Roll out just about less than half inch thick.
- You will need two separate cookie cutters. One for the outer cut and one for the inner cut. Cut cookies using a cookie cutters. First the outer shape and then the inner shape.
- Make sure to keep sufficient distance between the two shapes so the cookie won't break.
- Remove the inner portion of the cookie. Just place it back with the rest of the cookie dough to be used again.
- Place the cut cookie on a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- With Mortar and Pestle, make semi fine powder of the jolly rancher candies. Separate by Color.
- Fill inner portion of each cookie about half ways.
- Bake for 10 minutes. If cookies are thicker, you will need longer cooking time.
- Once you remove from the oven, let cool. When storing the cookies, place butter paper or parchment paper in between cookies so they won't stick to each other.
- Store in air-tight container for up to 3 days.